Tuesday, February 19, 2008

president's day



Yesterday was President's Day, I had the day off so I decided to grab my favorite Mediterranean take-out and Palahniuk's Haunted, which I started last year,..
and plop my ass on the grass on the National Mall. I've been down there a 100 times to just kick it and people watch, but this time was a little different, I was feelin good!,.. It was a late February day and it was 70 degrees?!,..although in the shade, there was still alittle bite.

It wasn't July, 95 degrees and sticky, and there were none of the tourists from Kentucky, or the midwest,..in groups of ten. Not that that's a bad thing, but today was a day for two people,....locals and wonderful foreign tourists. Europeans wearing winter clothes, and what's cooler than europeans wearing winter clothes? And us locals because it's 70 degrees and it's February!

a beautiful 70'ish year old woman with platinum hair, engrossed in a novel, on a big blanket with a basket, four hardbacks, and beside her sniffing the air, a very content Corgi.

Four british teens wishing their friend from Leeds were here with them. I think she said Leeds.

The most handsome couple practicing, with precision, for what seemed to be an upcoming flag football game.

A full rugby team, gearing up for something, with all equipment, uni's, gear, fans. Colorful cleats, cool, typical striped jerseys, they looked like a real european team all the way.

Two japanese girls flying a kite.

Five GW students throwing and catching a football and loving the fact that they couldn't throw or catch a football.

A beautiful young german couple and their young daughter taking a picture for an american couple and their new puppy.

About 10 Czechlosovakian teens, I could tell by the flags,.. running somewhere, laughing and yelling, their guides were directing them.

And what's better than watching foreign tourists devouring an american hot dog, and they always have trouble with it,.. they always put too much stuff on it, napkins end up really being of no use, but their having a small, great life experience. You can see it in their faces.

To the right was the Capitol building, and to my left was the Giant Pencil. The air was cool and there were brief whiffs of grassy moss. I didn't really want to leave but I thought someone could really appreciate my parking spot, and besides my pets at home were probably very hungry.

No comments: