Monday, July 14, 2008

Taqueria Nacionale

Photobucket

James Beard Award winner Ann Cashion's Taqueria Nacionale in Capitol Hill. A strictly carry-out joint, tough to find, (sits next to her upscale Johnny's Half Shell). Here I tried two out of her four signature tacos, the beef carnita and the fish taco. Simple flavors and good! Very similar in prep and taste of all the roadside taco stands I've visited in southern California and Rosarita and Ensenada Mexico.

The beef taco, grilled steak, chopped onion, cilantro, done. The fish taco, Alaskan pollack, cabbage and a light creme salsa. I've read complaints about the "2 thick tortillas" it comes on but every authentic taco I've had out west have them this way. These tacos are alittle over 2 bucks apiece, not bad. I had two but three would of completely satisfied me. You can also take as many small containers of their 3 killer homemade salsa's as you like. Didn't try their horchata (a very common almondy milk drink) but I did have one of their aguas frescas drinks, I chose the watermelon over the sweet mango and orange. Open Monday through Friday for breakfast and lunch.

Taqueria Nacionale • 400 N. Capitol St., NW D.C. a202.737.7070

No comments: