Wednesday, July 2, 2008

A War Memorial

Photobucket

Photobucket

I had alittle time today the weather was bright and warm, I wanted to spend some time and enjoy Washington D.C. without even thinking about where specifically to go. The west end of the National Mall was where I was drawn to. As I got onto Constitution Ave., an always coveted parking space opened up right away, I parked, got out and knew immediately I was in the neighborhood of the few of the most important war memorials in the country. If you've ever been here there is a familiar winding path that starts at Constitution Ave. and leads to the Vietnam Veterans Memorial. A minute walk and I was descending down that familiar marble walk with the names of the fallen soldiers opening up in front of me, an on-going ocean of names.
And as anyone will tell you who have visited this site, each name seemed great, and important. Focusing in on any one of the names on that wall was moving. And as quick as lightning I realized today, in the unfortunate time when we inevitably construct future war memorials, there can only be one way for us to honor our soldiers killed in wartime. Display their names. I cannot speak for family and relatives who have suffered loss. But to me, sculptures and gardens, fountains and concrete structures moves me less than to read one name, and another name, of a soldier who lost their life fighting. If a soldier is killed in a war past this day, today, and we honor him in memorial, to know his name is to know his life.

No comments: